Click your say!

Friday, February 28, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: TIRANT LO BLANC

As I haven't got time to read my own books, I'll do a review of one book which we had to read for highschool.

The book we read was Tirant Lo Blanc, written by Joanot Martorell. It's a very important book for the literature because it changed the way of writting (not just about war and knights stories) introducing heroes showing human characteristics, like Tirant a hero that cries and he also broke his leg twice. Now it's a normal thing, but in those days, it was the most modern literature for all those aspects. At first I didn't like the idea of having to read one of "the classics of literature" because everyone said that it was very boring, and it's written in an old catalan, so it's difficult to read sometimes. I actually enjoyed! Perhaps it was because I had the lowest expectations for that book that it surprised me when I found out that it wasn't as bad as everyone says. 

The book is divided by two main stories: Tirant going to war and Tirant falling in love with Carmesina.
Tirant was a very honored knight who was always fighting against the Turks, he was nobel and loyal to his homeland: he was a hero, but he was also human. He felt in love with the daughter of the king of Constantinoble and they married secretly. I found that the part of war it was a little boring because all the battles were always against the Turks and they were very similar so it's a little bit confusing if you have to situate the battles (which one goes first?), but the part of love, the part of the social problems we might say, it's very funny and it's easy to get hooked.

I wouldn't  recomend it, but I would say that for the people who has to read it compulsery it's not as bad as it looks like!





Tirant lo Blanc
Image source

0 comments:

Post a Comment