Click your say!

Friday, March 13, 2015

NEWS: LETTING A BROKEN ARM HEAL WITHOUT SURGERY

Some scientists from Britain had the theory that in some cases, a broken arm can heal itself instead of going through surgery. As a proof to show if that theory was true, they studied 200 patiens with broken arms: a hundred had surgery and the other half didn't.
If it's not a grave case, the bone heals itself with the help of a sling, which immobilizes the arm.
The scientists followed the evolution of each patient to see the results and surprisingly, any pacient who hadn't had surgery noticed to have major health problems than the others. The levels of pain were the same. The only noticeable difference between the patiens was that who has surgery had more complications for breathing.

While reading this article, I felt that the news was misplaced in time. Healing without technology in 2015? Unbelievable. What I expected was that some scientists invented a way to repare broken arms with some kind of X-Ray machines.
Leaving the irony aside, I think that it's incredible that our body can heal such a damage by itself. Having a broken arm it's not having a scratch and perhaps that's the reason that if that happens, we get histerical and see surgery as the safer option.

Another thought that I had, was that probably this is how our ancestors cured broken bones. I imagined them in caves having the arms wrapped in dead skin animals.
And then it shocked me.
Scientists hadn't discovered anything new.
How can I be that stonished that the bone can heal itself if we have been doing it all of our lives? How could I be so blind? Every child knows that if you have a broken bone you don't get surgery, you get an arm sling and that's it. We are used to have all kind of technology, to have everything we want at the precised moment and the most important thing: we are used to use technology for everything.
But then, am I so used to technology that the technology itself is making me unuseful? My head is about to explode, I'd better disconnect for a bit if I don't want to get more dizzy. Yeah, I will go outside the balcony to have some fresh air and play Fruit Ninja.


Source


News source: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/13/letting-a-broken-arm-heal-without-surgery/?ref=health 

0 comments:

Post a Comment