Click your say!

Sunday, May 10, 2015

NEWS: ARE EMOJI KILLING OFF THE ALPHABET?

Did you know that there are more than 800 emojis? According to an article, emojis are replacing internet slang completely now that the little images are creating a global recognised language.

Some internet slang like "Oh my god" (OMG) has been replaced with the emoji that has a fear expression, "Laugh out loud" (LOL) has been replaced with the emoji that is crying of happiness.

For example, 'omg' - slang for 'oh my god', has been replaced with the 'face screaming with fear' emoji
OMG!!!


'Lol', and 'lmao' - laugh my ass off - is being replaced by the 'face with tears of joy' emoji
LOL





















However, it doesn't stops here. Nowadays emojis are also used combined to  create sentences. According to a study, Finland is the city where most of the network users use emojis in a daily basis. 
The most used emojis are the one used to express LOL, followed by the emoji that has hearts as eyes and then the one that blows a kiss.

Resultado de imagen de emojis tumblr
Source

As a user of some networks such as Instagram and, of course, Whatsapp, I must say that I really enjoy using emojis. I think that complements very well a message. Although I have never used it in sentences because I find that is faster writing the word than searching for the right emoji, I wouldn't find it strange if someone replyed to me that way.

I can't tell if it's a bad thing or not. I don't see why internet slang should be better than emojis! Looking trough my phone, the emojis I use the most are the typical heart, the girl who's killing it, and also the dead face (mostly used to express how I feel about the final exams and la selectivitat).



The girl on fire


The dead emoji





















News source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3070135/Are-emoji-killing-alphabet-Instagram-maps-use-icons-replacing-internet-slang-words.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment